This district encompasses the oldest section of Alexandria and runs along the Red River levee. The architectural inventory includes many late-nineteenth-century brick commercial storefronts as well as a few remaining wood-frame residential structures from the same period. Several historic churches are included in the district as well as the landmark Hotel Bentley. A handful of Modern buildings, such as the Rapides Parish library and City Hall, make up the district’s more recent architectural history.
West End Historic District
Once its own incorporated city of West Alexandria, this district features a collection of late-nineteenth century and early twentieth century modest, wood-frame homes, with a handful of larger houses lining the main thoroughfare, Jackson Street.
Alexandria Garden District
Alexandria’s largest local district, residential architecture in the Garden District represents a period of prosperity and growth in Alexandria from 1905 to 1950. The majority of buildings are typical early twentieth century styles, predominately Craftsman and Colonial Revival. Most structures were constructed during the early twentieth century lumber boom, resulting in grand mansions and high-style homes along the main corridor, Jackson Street. More modest architecture of the same form and style contributes to the district as streets move away from Jackson Street.
The information provided and maintained on this website is believed to be accurate and reliable. However, the City of Alexandria shall not be held liable for improper or incorrect use of any data provided herein.