Garbage Schedule and Trash Pickup in Alexandria, LA
James Stanley/Superintendent Phone 441-6078 or 441-6080
Garbage Schedule and Rules
The Sanitation Department is responsible for the collection of refuse (garbage) and class 3 debris (limbs and bulky items) for the city residents and some commercial customers and delivery to the dump site. Refuse (garbage) is collected from each customer twice a week. However, holidays may change the days of the twice-a-week collections. Check this site, the City of Alexandria Government Facebook Page or Suddenlink Channel 4 for announcements of schedule changes or updates. The Sanitation Department is not responsible for any garbage cans that residents use to dispose of their garbage. Garbage should be in a plastic garbage bag secured with a twist tie.
Small piles of trash, bagged yard debris/bagged leaves, limbs and bulky waste (sofas, chairs, etc.) will be collected as scheduled by the Sanitation Department. Schedules may vary due to equipment malfunction, downtime at dump site, labor issues or inclement weather. The Sanitation Department attempts to service each area of the city every 10 to 12 working days, however this rotation may vary due to the reasons listed or due to unforeseen circumstances. Also, the Sanitation Department DOES NOT pick up lawn debris that has been put at curb side by a contractor; it is the responsibility of the home owner or contractor to do away with the debris. If the Sanitation Department has to collect such debris, there will be a $300 charge per load or partial load thereof.
Concrete and dead animal collection is not provided by the City of Alexandria Sanitation Department. For collection of dead animals, please call Animal Control at 318-441-6700.
Trailers will be placed at the following locations for the Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays:
- Bringhurst Ball Field (Masonic Drive)
- Frank O. Hunter Park (Willow Glen River Road)
- Bolton Avenue Community Center (315 Bolton Avenue)
- Parking lot behind Smackin’ Mack’s (1707 Metro Drive)
- Martin Park 911 Center (4216 Ellis Street)
- Willow Glen River Rd & 3rd St (across from 3812 3rd Street)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, January 16 – closed
- Tuesday, January 17 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, January 18 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, January 19 – regular pickup
- Friday, January 20 – regular pickup
- Monday, April 3 – regular pickup
- Tuesday, April 4 – regular pickup
- Wednesday, April 5 – Thursday’s pickup
- Thursday, April 6 – Friday’s pickup
- Friday, April 7 – closed
- Monday, May 29 – closed
- Tuesday, May 30 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, May 31 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, June 1 – regular pickup
- Friday, June 2 – regular pickup
- Monday, June 19 – closed
- Tuesday, June 20 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, June 21 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, June 22 – regular pickup
- Friday, June 23 – regular pickup
- Monday, July 3 – regular pickup
- Tuesday, July 4 – closed
- Wednesday, July 5 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, July 6 – regular pickup
- Friday, July 7 – regular pickup
- Monday, September 4 – closed
- Tuesday, September 5 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, September 6 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, September 7 – regular pickup
- Friday, September 8 – regular pickup
- Monday, November 6 – regular pickup
- Tuesday, November 7 – regular pickup
- Wednesday, November 8 – Thursday’s pickup
- Thursday, November 9 – Friday’s pickup
- Friday, November 10 – closed
- Monday, November 20 – regular pickup
- Tuesday, November 21 – regular pickup
- Wednesday, November 22 – NO pickup
- Thursday, November 23 – NO pickup
- Friday, November 24 – NO pickup
Trailers out from the afternoon of Wednesday, November 22 to the morning of Monday, November 27
- Monday, December 25 – closed
- Tuesday, December 26 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, December 27 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, December 28 – regular pickup
- Friday, December 29 – regular pickup
Trailers out from the afternoon of Friday, December 22 to the morning of Tuesday, December 26
New Year’s Day 2024
- Monday, January 1 – closed
- Tuesday, January 2 – Monday’s pickup
- Wednesday, January 3 – Tuesday’s pickup
- Thursday, January 4 – regular pickup
- Friday, January 5 – regular pickup
Free Garbage Bags
Utility customers age 65 and older as well as those with disabilities may qualify for free garbage bags. Please complete this form (PDF) and bring it along with proof of age and/or disability to the Utility Customer Service Office at 625 Murray Street.
The City of Alexandria has partnered with Hometown Waste Solutions to offer cardboard recycling. Brown recycling bins arked with bright Recycle Alex stickers are placed around town. For a list of cardboard collection sites, click this link for Hometown Recycling's website.
To thoroughly clean all streets of garbage and trash. Garbage will be picked up in the alleyways on some routes. To offer the City of Alexandria residents the best service at a minimum cost. To attain a better pick-up and disposal system and a better recording system of daily operating and maintenance procedures.
Definition of Terms
Click here to view the sanitation department's list of terms and definitions for refuse disposal.
Click here to view information from our Code Enforcement Services Department regarding unlawful litter.
White Goods Pick-Up
To all residents of the City of Alexandria - beginning May 19, 2004, residents that have white goods (stoves, washers, dryers, refrigerators, water heaters, dish washers and air conditioners) to be picked up must call the sanitation department. You must give the name, address, and phone number of the person making the request. Also these objects are to be placed on the curbside in front of the residence. White goods will be picked up every 3rd wednesday of each month. If your white goods are not separated from your limbs and other debris it will be left on the curbside. You may call us at 318-441-6080 or 318-441-6082.
THE SANITATION DEPARTMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RECEPTACLES THAT RESIDENTS USE TO PLACE THEIR GARBAGE BAGS IN. The City ordinance states that your garbage should be disposed of in a garbage bag and placed on the curbside for 7:00 a.m. on the day of pickup only. You can be issued a citation if garbage is placed on the curbside on an unscheduled pick up day. If you have a problem with dogs, cats or any other animals tearing your garbage bags, please contact the Animal Shelter at 318-473-1229.